Onions planted

Here are all the seeded onions just before transplant. They were started Jan 22 and have been out in the polytunnel for about a month now.

I went kind of crazy with my ruler and some cardboard to make this planting jib. The thick lines are 9 per sqf and the thin lines are 16 per sqf. I just simply stuck a pencil in the corresponding hole to mark out all the planting positions. When the garden is in and I have more time I will make some wooden ones.

Here they are all planted out 9 per sqf using the jig. It worked pretty well and certainly speed the process up. The pencil made a perfect hole that the onion seedlings were planted right into. In total I planted out 84 onions in the photo above as well as 13 multiplier onions in another area. Here are all the varieties I am trying:

Utah Sweet Spanish Onions from seed shared by Hometown Seeds

Red Long of Tropea Onions from seed shared by Daphne

Amish Bottle Onions

Dutch Sets

Red Onion Sets

Multiplier Onions

Lastly these are onions from last fall. I had a few to small to
harvest so I planted them out together before the ground froze.
They have sized up nicely and will be used as green onions.

Onions planted Onions planted Reviewed by Tegal on 10:53 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.