The Fall Garden

With a new season upon use it seems like a good time to update on plant happenings. There is not much to update on fall planting because I have hardly done any. However there is still lots out in the garden so here goes a few photos:

There are four nice sized butternut squash ripening. They are about ready now but I will most likely leave them on the vine until we start getting frost warnings. The squash really took their time this year, I think because the peppers shaded them early on.

The mass of green is a double row of parsnips. They are engulfing the fall broccoli in front and smothering the poor carrots behind them. I think I will pull the carrots for this coming harvest monday and tie them back from the broccoli.

There is a nice cabbage forming. There should be two more but the chipmunks ate the other seedlings early on. Must remember to start extra plants next season!

The brussels sprouts are starting to sprout now. Perhaps this will be the first year they actually produce something. They are quite floppy so I will have to stake them up soon.

The purple sprouting broccoli have grown into monsters. So far they have produced a few small broccoli sprouts here and there. Hopefully they produce more as the fall progresses.

The celeriac has been bulking up during the last month. They are in between a hard ball and soft ball size now. I have no idea when they are ready, something I need to look into.

A few 'Petite Gris' melons have been sizing up. They are extremely late this year. I am half hopeful they will ripen before the fall frosts in late October.

Some blight has shown up on my tomatoes a couple weeks ago. It is not affecting the fruit so I am not to concerned. It is late in the season and most of the tomatoes are already done.

Asides from a few stragglers all the dry pole beans have been harvested. I am quite pleased with the dry pole beans. They produced a very nice yield from only three wigwams. I will post a dry bean overview soon.

Now to wrap things up with Charlie, the cat that showed up in the garden this spring. She is now a very content indoor cat. She has been spayed, vaccinated and is up to a healthy weight. As the picture shows she likes to find every new spot she can. Last night that spot was the basements false ceiling. If she only knew the tiles wouldn't hold her weight..... That aside she is a very nice cat and likes lots of attention, almost dog like really.
The Fall Garden The Fall Garden Reviewed by Tegal on 9:22 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.