First off I have changed the comment layout. I have found that blogs that use my previous layout can create some difficulty if you don't remember everything and have to go back and read again. So I changed to the one that embeds the comments below the post but then found it confusing that there is not very good separation between comments. I have now changed it to the pop up one as it separates each comment clearly and then you can check back on the post if needed. Whats your thoughts on the comment layouts?

I have built a platform for the seedlings. Nothing special, I just threw it together with material in the basement and then affixed it to the metal shelf. It provides better light for the seedlings and make the heat mat perform better as it is not sitting on a cold metal shelf.

The Big Chile II peppers are growing very nicely. They are just starting to grow true leaves and I will be thinning them shortly. I have still not started my other variety of hot peppers because they have not arrived yet.

The lone early tomato is also growing well. It has just started to form true leaves. It will be potted on to a 4" pot once it roots into this pot. Once April arrives I will transplant it into a large pot so I can place it outside during fair weather to hopefully produce early tomatoes.


Now for the onions, I have accidentally dumped my "Prince" storage onions, which was pretty stupid of me. I then thinned and transplanted them back into the pot and start some fresh ones just in case. Good thing I did because the transplanted ones are not looking to good. I checked the recommend onion sowing date on the
Ministry of Agriculture site and they recommend Feb 16th. I planted the second batch Feb 24th so I am still pretty much on schedule even after losing a month on the first ones.

I have not mucked with the "Armador" shallots so they are still doing well although they do look a little weak. The weather needs to improve so I can get them out into the coldframe.
Speaking of the coldframe, I am regularly checking to see if any of the seed has germinated, nothing yet. I have been monitoring the temperature and it has held at 5 to 10c(41-50f) during the day when the outside temperature has been anywhere from -8 to 6c (18-43f). That is a good sign and shows that the sun is certainly getting stronger.

My Pinetree order is starting to make me panic. I placed the order 5 weeks in advance of having to start anything and figured it would be here in about a week like all my other orders. I have tried to confirm that it has been shipped via e-mail and received no response. I then tried phoning them yesterday and got a recording that their number is not in service. Finally, today they answer and said they are just working on orders from Feb 9th and I ordered on Feb 11th. I am hoping my order arrives by March 9-16 as that is when I need to start all the cole crops. I am guessing they are swamped with orders because of all the economic doom fearers out there. I think in the future I will order my early sown seeds in the fall!

I finally got a photo of the snow-less yard. The last snow storm that past missed use as a low pressure system from the north kept all the snow to the east. Although we were lucky to be missed by the storm it has been extremely windy & cold since last Saturday and it is supposed to stick around until next Thursday when it is going above freezing again.
I will end with a couple photos of the spring bulbs breaking ground. I was very excited to see these and it is a sign that the weather will be turning for the better very soon. The first photo is Daffodils and the last one is Iris reticulata. The Iris reticulata is my favorite spring bulb.
