
I was photographing this Garter Snake on Wednesday. Garter Snakes are a pretty common sight in our yard, some of them are pretty huge too. I took a couple photos and then moved on to finish building the melon trellis. About 10 minutes later I went to find a tool I needed and found that the snake was eating....

this toad. My first thought was to make it let go but then realized that's what it eats so I let it be. I was really surprised a snake with such a small mouth could eat this big toad but it did. It took about 15 minutes and once it was past its jaws the toad moved very quickly to the center of the snakes body. Very interesting to watch.


I was happy that it didn't eat this red toad that I have seen in the patch many times this spring. I have never seen a red toad before and might have had to kick some snake butt if it had this one.