Morning Glory Tower
After reading about morning glory towers on The Coconut Palm as well as looking at photos of them on flick like this one I decided to try one. Basically you sink a big pole into the ground, plant morning glories under it and watch them grow. I made my pole fifteen feet out of two six foot and one three foot bamboo canes. Here are some photos of its placement in the garden and how I linked the canes together:
I placed it in the front garden and it is just above the potato bin. I sunk it two feet into the ground so the vines have about thirteen feet to climb.
The six foot bamboo canes were fastened together by creating a flat surface with a chisel were the two canes meet. I then drilled corresponding holes into the canes and bolted them together.
Then with the pole at a length of twelve feet long, I drilled a hole in the top of the cane and drove a three foot cane into the top with wood glue. This formed the full fifteen foot pole for the vines to climb on.

