The first things completed was harvesting & removing the shelling peas, sugar snap peas & broad beans. Unfortunately I had left the third picking of shell peas on to long and they had gone starchy, they will be composted. I had a few sugar snaps left and ended up with a pound of broad beans. I also left a couple broad bean plants standing to be used for seed saving purposes.
Here are the broad beans I harvested. The seed for these came from
a trade with Down on the Allotment and this photo will be entered into
her "Matron's Worldwide Veggie Show 2009" on July 14th
I remember seeing leeks planted in trenches well watching Victory Gardener, many many years ago. Funny how you can remember obscure things when you're so young. Anyway, so I dug trenches about 5 inches deep and then planted the leeks about an inch below the trench. The soil is being stored in a bin behind the shed and will be added back as they grow. This method should grow some nice, long, white leeks.
Today I also decided to harvest all the garlic. They probably could have stayed in a little longer but I needed the space. I have not weighed them yet but ended up with 8 nice size heads and 4 small heads.
my Mom into braiding the eight large heads together. We shall see if I am successful.
On the planting front I planted another row of parsnips in place of the garlic also well as a row of carrots & beets. The carrots and beets will be another fall crop and the parsnips I am going to leave in over the winter. I have read they produce a very sweet taste once they freeze in the ground. They will make for a nice harvest during a winter thaw or in March when the snow goes away. The last things I planted was white cucumber in the pot the sugar snap peas were growing in and I planted the red celery I started in May.
The last task of the day was thinning the carrots & beets that are currently growing. A few of the thinnings were big enough for dinner but most went into the compost. Beets and carrots seem to be growing very slow for me this year.
