I have started to seed & plant a few fall crops over the last couple weeks. Falls is certainly approaching fast and I hope to be ready this year after planting way to late last year.

I have started many things in cell packs that will eventually make it into the cedar poly tunnel. The collage above is a close up of the things started so far. They include 'little gem' romaine, 'merlot' lettuce, 'bright lights' chard (seed from
Daphne ), wong bok (ie napa cabbage), batavian full heart & sugar loaf chicory. Many of them are new varieties to me so I have no idea what to expect taste or growth wise.


Above is the red celery I seeded way back at the end of May. Celery has long days to maturity so it was one of the earliest fall crops to start. I planted four plants in the soil this week and I will soon be placing the uncovered poly tunnel in this area. Red celery is reported to be extremely hardy so I should be able to harvest it very late in the season. It will be perfect timing for soups & stews.

I also decided to plant a row of yellow bush beans in place of the shallots. They are ready for harvest in 55 days so they should produce a nice crop before the killing frost comes in October. At least that is what I am hoping for.

This is a yellow crookneck squash that I started a little over a week ago. I was reading that squash will produce as a late planting as long as the fall is not to chilly. I am going to give it a go but I am not sure were it will be planted yet, probably in a container.
That about sums up the recent fall plantings. I have many more things to plant in anticipation of the fall and I think most of them need to be seeded by Aug 15th. Things like kale, spinach & radishes. I am also going to grow mache but I believe that should not be planted until Sept. Expect another fall update around the fifteenth of this month.