Monday's Harvest Post
I am really starting to like posting about harvests on Monday. It really is a great day to get out in the garden and round up everything that needs harvesting. It is also nice to consolidate each harvest of the previous seven days to see how things are going. If you would like to join in, you can do a Monday's Harvest Post and put your link into Daphne's Mister Linky so everyone can check it out.
This is the first harvest of the past seven days. It includes my minuscule shallot harvest, next year I know to plant a lot more and closer together. There also is a few tiny storage onions, six cucumbers and the first zuc of the season.
Here is the tomatoes I have harvested lately. In behind are two green hillbilly tomatoes that were accidentally pruned off during last weeks tomato pruning, I hope they ripen inside. In front is one variegated tomato (the red one), beside that is black zebra's and the end three are black cherry. The smaller tomatoes are really starting to turn now but the big heirlooms are still a ways off from ripening.
Here is today's harvest. The first thing on the chopping block was one of the Romanesco broccoli. Sow This, Sew That was blogging that her Romanesco turned color and went bitter so the next day I tied up the leaves over my heads to blanch them. They did turn back to a more green color and they smell like sweet cauliflower. I will cook this head for tomorrows dinner and will report on its taste on this Thursday's garden meals. I then harvested about a litre of dragon tongue beans, to bad the cukes are hiding most of them. I wasn't sure about how these beans would taste when I order them but they are excellent. The best beans I have every tried and very productive too. The last of today's harvest was a couple cucumbers. The cucumbers have done really well again this year, I'm starting to think I should have a cucumber counter not a tomato counter!
