
I went out to do some harvesting and found five tomatoes that had started to rot. I am guessing this is late blight? The leaves on the plants look good still and it appears it was just affecting a few tomatoes that all were at the tip of the clutch. Here's hoping it doesn't start to spread! I nipped out all the affected plant parts and will disposes of them in the garbage. Maybe I will drown my sorrows by canning some garden tomato sauce & fermenting some tomato seeds tonight....*Update - I went out to see if I could find any more damage and there is brown spots on the leaves and stems. I removed some more material and I guess I will just have to wait it out. I hope that at least the largest tomatoes that currently are on the plants will ripen. I am definitely not going to spray, the organic copper based sprays can kill birds & worms as well as cause liver damage to humans so I will not touch that stuff.
I guess this is to be expected with the season we have had. July saw only three days above 30c(86F) and August was not much better. August was also very rainy with use seeing a 1/4 more rain then the norm. This season has really tested ones veggie gardening patiences!
