Buttoning Up The Garden
I never did get around to covering up my season extenders so I did it this evening. I was a little late that's for sure, last week we had our first few light frosts and they should have been in place before that. Thankfully we have not had a hard frost yet so no damage was done to the fall veggies. This week the covers really are not needed because we have been have day time highs of 15-19c(59-66f) but they won't hurt them either.
Lets start with the cold frame before I put the top back on. To the left is Mache, the middle is Spinach and on the right side is some pitifully small Kale. I think I am also going to tuck some thyme & sage in bare spots soon.
Here it is all covered up. I originally installed the top with hinges without pins so removing the top involves unscrewing it. I think I will be adding hinges with pins soon to make the task a little easier.
Now the poly tunnel in its current state. Some things are growing very well and others are lagging a bit. I am hoping the added warmth of the cover will make things grow a little fast. The poly tunnel has red celery, napa cabage, sugar loaf chicory, mizuna, black & china rose radish and green onions growing in it.
and of course here it is covered up, I bet you didn't see that coming. ;-)
Lastly here is a nasturtium that has endured through the frosts. I have seen a hummingbird sipping from the flowers a few days ago. I was surprised to see them around still, they must be migrating soon.
