Invasion of the Giant Cabbage!

UPDATED - Here's the correct photo.. I had posted the wrong one..

Giant veggie growing is a competitive hobby - but a fun one! This is a photo of Pete from New Brunswick who sent me a few of his precious giant cabbage seeds. (Pete also grows giant pumpkins and onions!)

His seeds came from a previous record holder in England - these cabbages can weight over 126 pounds! Talk about enough coleslaw to feed a crowd!

Pete's seeds arrived a few months ago and I planted them up, according to his instructions. I now have 3 seedlings and all are doing quite well and getting very big.. I will put them in the garden soon, tossing a row cover over top in case of a late-season frost. Pete tells me that these plants can grow about 6-feet in diameter and therefore need a lot of space.. Because space is tight in the veggie patch, I'm going to tuck them in between the perennials and shrubs in a new ornamental bed. Those plants are young and there is plenty of room for the cabbages to grow HUGE! Fingers crossed!

Happy Gardening - and thanks Pete!
Invasion of the Giant Cabbage! Invasion of the Giant Cabbage! Reviewed by Tegal on 9:59 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.