New tomatoes for 2011

A few weeks ago, I posted about the tomatoes that we'll be growing this summer.. well, that list has grown dramatically, thanks to a blogging friend and a frequent guest on my radio show, Craig LeHoullier, also known as the North Carolina Tomato Man. For years now, Craig has mentioned a unique tiny-fruited tomato called Mexican Midget and I'm thrilled to actually have seed this year for this unusual tomato. He has also sent me some seed from his Dwarf Tomato Project. You can find out more info on this project at:

http://nctomatoman.weebly.com/dwarf-tomato-project-introduction-and-information.html

His blog is also accessible from that site. Although I don't have details on all of these new varieties, here is what I know about some of the ones that I'll be growing this summer:

Dwarf Beryl Beauty (see top photo - courtesy of Victory Seeds) - An introduction from the Dwarf Tomato Project, this mid-season tomato grows just 4-feet tall and bears smooth, round fruits. The colour is bright green, but many offer a soft blush on the blossom end.

Mexico Midget (photo courtesy of www.seedsavers.org) - Ok, not part of the Dwarf Tomato Project, but I've been wanting this one for years! Each plant bears hundreds of tiny bright red tomatoes - 1/2 to 3/4-inch in diameter. The tomato flavour is HUGE and the plants can also get quite tall as they are indeterminate.

Tasmanian Chocolate - soon to be released - Craig will be announcing where gardeners can get this new dwarf tomato soon (keep an eye on his blog), but I'm thrilled to have some seed.

Rosella Purple - soon to be released - Another new dwarf tomato that will be available at seed catalog's soon - check Craig's blog.

Variegated (photo from www.totallytomatoes.com) - An old heirloom tomato that has variegated foliage and red 2-inch diameter tomatoes. The flavor is said to be very good, but I think it's the showy plants that add appeal to this unusual variety.

Craig also sent me seed for Dwarf Kelly Green and Dwarf Sweet Sue tomatoes, which are still under development and not available yet. We haven't grown many green maturing tomatoes, so this will be a fun season as we experiment with 2 to 3 different varieties of green.

When I get photos of Rosella Purple and Tasmanian Chocolate, I'll post them..

Also, it looks like it will be a pepper-filled year too (thanks to Craig).. I just hope we have a long hot summer like last year so that peppers have enough time to mature. Fingers crossed!

On another note, I'm off to the Halifax Seaport Farmer's Market tomorrow.. Owen from Annapolis Seeds (www.annapolisseeds.com) will be there and I need a few more things from him too! Here's a shot of Owen and I last summer after his spot on my radio show.

With all this seed talk, I think I need a bigger garden this year..

Happy Gardening!


New tomatoes for 2011 New tomatoes for 2011 Reviewed by Tegal on 8:46 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.