All in all the broccoli was spectacular this spring. Asides from one plant succumbing to root maggot they all produced very well. I also have not seen a single cabbage butterfly this year, I'm not sure where they are but I am happy they are not bothering me. The total weight of the broccoli this spring was just under 6lbs for a total of 15 heads.
Tomorrow I will remove all the plants, compost them and plant the second crop of 'Early Dividend' broccoli as well as 'Jade Cross Hybrid' brussels sprouts in their place. By removing the plants I will be about to harvest a second crop of large heads this season and hopefully side shoots as well. Removing them will also give the squash growing on the trellis behind them much needed light. That is the plan at least, I am hoping the summer heat doesn't do them in, time will tell.
